This is one of the best tasting cakes I have ever tried! I must say it is heavenly!
Got the recipe online but I made a few tweaks to it particularly reducing the sugar. I love cakes but I hate the high sugar content, that’s why whenever I bake cakes or any dessert, I’d see to it to reduce the sugar so I can enjoy it without the guilt.
Here is the recipe.
• 1 1/4 cups applesauce
• 1 cup Old Fashioned oats
• 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
• 3/4 cup brown sugar
• 2 teaspoons vanilla
• 2 eggs
• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, (i use unbleached)
• 1 teaspoon baking soda, (i use aluminum-free)
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
• 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
• 3 tablespoons milk (i used coconut milk)
For the Cake:
1. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, cook applesauce until just beginning to boil. Stir in oatmeal. Set aside; let stand for 20 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Make sure oven rack is at least 6″ from top of oven. Coat a 9″ x 9″ baking dish with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla and eggs, mix until combined. Add flour mixture to butter mixture in two additions; mix until just combined after each addition. Add applesauce mixture and mix until just combined.
5. Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until cake has browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
For the Topping:
1. In a small medium bowl, combine coconut, brown sugar, walnuts, melted butter, and milk. Mix until combined and all ingredients are moistened. Carefully spread topping over hot cake, and return to oven. Turn over to broil, and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until top is golden and bubbly. Remove cake from oven. Cool 30 minutes, and serve warm.
This cake tastes best when warmed. So if you store it in the fridge, warm first your slice for about 25 sec in the microwave before enjoying a bite.😋
Now, I’ll go ahead and take a piece.😉
(You can get the original recipe here.)